Holiday Season Temptations
The holiday season is upon us! Most of us have a full schedule of holiday engagements that offer a lot of temptation. We will be so busy that we won’t find time to work out. Indeed, the holidays offer a multitude of excuses that we will gladly grab onto. How do we lose weight with all of this temptation? Here are a few simple yet effective tips for keeping your indulgences to a minimum this holiday season.
- Eat before you leave home. Showing up at a party, where there will be lots of tempting, high calorie foods, when you’re hungry is not a good idea. Starving yourself just to “allow” yourself to enjoy treats has a negative effect; your metabolism slows down and your body starts storing fat instead of burning it off.
- Instead of standing over the food table, put a few things on a plate. This helps you set limitations on how much of the treats you actually eat. If you’re standing over the treats table continually munching, it is way too easy to eat way more than you realize.
- Focus on friends and family, rather than on the food. Remember that the purpose of the party is to spend time socializing, not eating, so spend more time visiting than eating.
- Drink plenty of water instead of alcohol. This is true of any party, not just holiday parties. Alcohol is loaded with empty calories, which is why that big belly started being called a “beer gut”.
- Find activities that will keep you away from the food cart. If conversation has lagged, offer to help the party’s host; or ask a friend to dance. Many of us eat when we’re bored, especially when there’s food readily available.
- Keep yourself active. The holidays are a busy time for everyone, and it can be challenging to keep exercise in our daily routine. Exercise will also help us stay energized so we can accomplish everything we need to do. The secret is to find an activity that you enjoy, so being active doesn’t feel like a chore.
Even though the holidays can be a stressful time, it doesn’t have to be a time for us to gain weight. With a few simple actions, you can increase your chances of success on your weight loss journey.